The Marathon Markup Language - Player Element: <player>
This kind of element specifies various player-character features, such as starting energy, starting oxygen, rebellion-map stripped energy (specified with attributes), and starting items, damage types, and powerup durations (specified with child elements). The attributes are:
Note: the oxygen depletion and replenishment rates can be negative if one so desires.
- energy: how much to start with (default: 150)
- oxygen: how much to start with (default: 10800)
- stripped: how much energy one has if one starts in a rebellion level
- light: self-luminosity (the miner's-light effect) (floating point: default: 0.5)
- oxygen_deplete: how much oxygen one loses per engine tick under a liquid or in vacuum (default: 1)
- oxygen_replenish: how much oxygen one gains per engine tick in air (default: 0)
- vulnerability: what kind of damage (true damage type) one is vulnerable to when the invincibility powerup is active (can be -1 (NONE)) (default: 9, fusion-bolt damage)
The starting items can be set with an element of <item>, which has attributes: index (which one in list) type (which item type) Both of them are mandatory. The first weapon in the list is the one that will get used. The default list is: 0: Pistol 1: Knife 2: Knife 3: Pistol Ammo 4: Pistol Ammo 5: Pistol Ammo 6 to 15: Knife
The responses to various kinds of damage can be set with an element of <damage>, which has attributes: index (which one in player-damage list; mandatory, but the others are optional) threshold: if the amount of damage is greater than this, then fader (fade)+1 is used instead of fader (fade). fade: what of the faders to use. sound: Sound to make. death_sound: Death sound to make. death_action: Behavior of sprites when killed. Here are the appropriate behavior types: 6: Hard death (blown to bits by explosion) 7: Soft death (stays in shape) 8: Flaming death If there is none of something, then it gets a value of -1. Soft death for sprites can also be specified with a -1.
The durations of the powerups can be said with an element of <powerup>. It has these attributes invisibility (default: 2100 or 70 seconds) invincibility (default: 1500 or 50 seconds) extravision (default: 5400 or 3 minutes) infravision (default: 5400 or 3 minutes) These have a value of the number of engine ticks the powerup lasts; an engine tick is 1/30 second.